The Accounting Director manages the monthly close process, constructs journal entries, reconciles accounts, compiles monthly financial statements, and is back up for preparation and processing of payroll in coordination with Human Resources (HR).
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Arizona Science Center maintains a strong policy of equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. We recruit, hire, train, promote, compensate and dismiss employees on the basis of such factors as experience, character, ability, and skill, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin or heritage, age, marital or veteran status, disability, citizenship, or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include the following but is not all-inclusive. Other duties may be assigned.
- Understand, interpret, and apply Generally Accepted Accounting Principles applicable to the non-profit industry and Arizona Science Center business.
- Preparation of monthly financial materials for the Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Manages workflow in the Accounting office. This includes, but is not limited to, planning, scheduling, and executing tasks to completion. Tasks are daily, biweekly, monthly, and yearly in time frame.
- Accountable for oversight and backup of the payroll processing
- Compiles revenue and expense data from the organization to assist in the creation of daily cash statements and monthly financial statements. Revenue data comes from the point-of-sale system and/or department managers.
- Reconciles Bank Accounts and other Balance Sheet Accounts. Calculates monthly Sales Tax.
- Prepares reports for the annual financial statement audit and the organization’s Data Arts submission.
- Provides backup from the accounting system for Grant Reporting and Applications.
- Performs ad hoc reports and projects when necessary.
- Must be professional, approachable and work as a team with employees at all levels within the organization
Supervisory responsibilities of the Accounting Department.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
CPA or CPA candidate required. Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university in accounting; and a minimum of two years related experience. Experience with Blackbaud’s Financial Edge is highly preferred and Tessitura software is preferred. Advanced skill level in Excel and proficiency with Microsoft Office software. Ability to act as a productive team member.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- This job also requires the consistent use of a personal computer. The employee must have the necessary keyboard and computer mouse skills as well as the ability to read a color monitor.
The work environment characteristics include working with other employees and outside vendors in a team-building atmosphere while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.