PR & Social Media Specialist
Leverage your marketing and technical skill to make a difference in the community! The PR and Social Media Specialist leads Arizona Science Center’s earned and owned/social media efforts to drive visits and memberships. This encompasses traditional public relations aimed to elevate Arizona Science Center’s stature locally and nationally and drive awareness, traffic, and sales, as well as social media to drive consumer and key stakeholder engagement and sales. In partnership with our Digital Marketing Director, the PR and Social Media Manager will play a lead role in the creation and on-going refinement of on- and off-line content. His/her efforts will market the Center overall, as well as the 5-story Irene P. Flinn Giant Screen Theater, Dorrance Planetarium, exhibits, CREATE makerspace, Science-on-Wheels, and STEM programs, educator professional development, camps, traveling exhibitions and new signature programs and events.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Arizona Science Center maintains a strong policy of equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. We recruit, hire, train, promote, compensate and dismiss Employees on the basis of such factors as experience, character, ability, and skill, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin or heritage, age, marital or veteran status, disability, citizenship, or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops and executes the PR and Social Plan with a focus on delivering the Center’s revenue goals. Pitches and places features in key consumer media outlets. Monitors daily results versus goals and modifies tactics accordingly.
- Reports up to our Chief Strategy and Growth Officer who oversees the majority of the Center’s onsite and online sales, and directly to our Digital Marketing Director. Partners with Digital Marketing Director to develop a strategy to raise Arizona Science Center’s profile with the local and national press.
- Manages our online reputation and social posts. Delivers social customer service best practices, including empathy, patience, advocacy, and conflict resolution. Monitors activity across all social media and web platforms.
- Partners with Digital Marketing Director on paid social strategies.
- Cultivates blogger and influencer partners to drive interest in our programs.
- Partners with the Director of Marketing Events and Promotions to develop new audiences and drive attendance to our adult, teen and family-targeted onsite public events.
- Writes and places articles, blog posts, and editorials promoting Arizona Science Center’s mission to inspire, educate and engage curious minds through science, and our leadership role in informal science education.
- Partners with Washington-based consultants to develop and promote the Science Center’s voice with key stakeholders.
- Partners with our Chief Curiosity Officer and our Blue Crew (guest interpreters) to develop science content for our weekly TV shows and ongoing PR and Social designed to leverage our expertise.
- Provides media training for Blue Crew and other employees as appropriate.
- Develops and sends e-blasts to our Members and key stakeholders.
- Assists with copywriting, proofreading and content distribution. Ensures efforts are integrated and social media and press releases/earned media efforts are SEO-optimized.
- Maintains and builds upon our already strong local media relationships.
- Diligently keeps up with the ever-changing social, PR and digital space and advances in technology. Regularly shares this learning with the team.
- As part of the broader Marketing & Sales team, coordinates and assists with special events as needed (e.g. Science With a Twist, Fry’s Free Weekend, etc.).
- Contributes to overall marketing and sales strategies and plans.
- Interacts daily with employees and management from other departments.
- Other duties to support Marketing and Sales, as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university, ideally in public relations, journalism, communications, marketing, or related field.
- 3+ years’ experience managing social media and public relations for a consumer brand.
- Working knowledge of principles of SEO including keyword research and Google Analytics. Understands the principles of “search and social”. Keeps up with the latest thinking, algorithm updates.
- Understands crisis communications best practices.
- Writes beautifully and speaks articulately and simply.
- Displays outstanding judgment on what is brand and business appropriate and beneficial.
- Strong analytic skills.
- Familiar with Hootsuite, Basecamp, Wordfly, and Microsoft Office. Understands basic content management systems, including, ideally, Umbraco.
- Displays meticulous attention to detail, to ensure work meets our brand standards and is error-free.
- Must be a self-starter and a strong project manager comfortable with competing deadlines and multitasking.
- Organized and efficient.
- Creative problem solver with the ability to work independently, as well as within a team environment.
Does not have any day-to-day supervisory responsibilities. However, the PR and Social Media Marketing Manager may lead ad hoc task forces or project teams in conjunction with a special project or event, as well as work with a rotation of interns.
Job Status: Full Time