Senior Web and Graphic Designer
Leverage your creative skills to make a difference in the community! The Senior Web and Graphic Designer owns our brand standards and visual identity throughout Arizona Science Center and across all consumer and stakeholder touch-points. The Senior Web and Graphic Designer oversees development of all marketing creative in support of the Science Center and our programs--including website, digital media, print, out-of-home, internal and external building signage--leveraging copy and content produced by the Marketing team in collaboration with key subject matter experts within the Center. The Senior Web and Graphic Designer partners with external agencies and for web development and to develop and produce TV.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES Include, but are not limited to, the following.
- Owns the brand look and standards for the Science Center.
- Conceptualizes, plans, designs and produces a wide range of specialized creative, including website designs, digital and social, video, logos, print ads, e-blasts, building signage, displays, rack cards and other promotional and educational materials.
- Knows how to leverage consumer insights and raw creativity to grab consumers’ attention, appealing to both their head and heart
- Works with multiple Science Center departments to understand needs and to develop creative concepts, and specifications for assigned projects.
- Creates original designs and develops comprehensive layout concepts, logos, illustrations, across a variety of mediums.
- Designs webpage layouts, within the confines of our CMS.
- Communicates web design ideas using user flows, process flows, site maps and wire-frames. Has a knack for intuitive, user-centered design and understands HCI principles
- Partners with dev agency to conceive new web functions and features.
- Monitors content updates to ensure we maintain brand standards and usability best practices.
- Sources, edits and retouches photographs, and oversees and coordinates production of all materials.
- Plans production schedules for the various steps in the design process. Oversees all creative projects from briefing through production and trafficking, using our Basecamp project management software.
- Identifies, selects, and coordinates vendors, as appropriate to the project.
- Oversees and coordinates the production process; develops and writes printing and/or other production specifications, and selects appropriate production media and materials, such as ink and paper; inspects proofs for accuracy and adherence to appropriate production standards.
- Maintains digital library of images, artwork and designs created and used by the Science Center.
- Researches, recommends, purchases, and maintains all equipment in creative department such as computers, software, and production equipment.
- Provides technical computer support and installs software programs related to the creative project management process.
- Directs external web design and advertising agencies and/or vendors on all projects.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Arizona Science Center maintains a strong policy of equal employment opportunity for all Employees and applicants. We recruit, hire, train, promote, compensate and dismiss Employees on the basis of such factors as experience, character, ability and skill, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin or heritage, age, marital or veteran status, disability, citizenship, or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Directs efforts of outside agencies, as appropriate.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Advanced knowledge of principles and practices of web and graphic design. Must have the ability to develop and produce creative materials using a range of media, methods, techniques and equipment. Must also be knowledgeable about website development opportunities and limitations, graphic layout and photographic requirements and procedures as well as printing and/or reproduction processes and techniques.
Advanced knowledge of graphics software (Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign and/or additional Creative Cloud applications) including prepress features. Expert Apple computer and operating system user and able to maintain and install software. Familiar with large format printing and lamination equipment.
Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees of the organization, as well as outside the organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
This job also requires the use of a computer which will be placed somewhere in the employee’s workspace. The employee must have the necessary keyboard and computer mouse skills as well as the ability to read a color monitor.
The physical demands listed above are required for this specific job due to the large amount of on-screen work and the need to inspect locations for graphics and to inspect layouts.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Must have extensive design portfolio. Previous agency, client service or multi-product/service internal services experience.
Job Status: Full Time