All Theater team members are expected to exhibit exemplary customer service skills to maintain positive and memorable experiences for Center guests at all times.
Theater Specialists are cross-trained to operate the equipment in both the Irene P. Flinn Theater and the Dorrance Planetarium, which includes the digital projectors in both spaces, as well as specialty equipment, including but not limited to the audio system with play and record capability and the laser show systems. Theater Specialists are responsible for maintaining technical functionality of the Irene P. Flinn Theater and Dorrance Planetarium, including, but not limited to, start-up and shut off equipment, running basic maintenance checks on a daily basis, and troubleshooting for technical problems as needed. Theater Specialists are expected to maintain regular communication with the Manager of Theaters and assist with maintenance of the Irene P. Flinn Theater and Dorrance Planetarium and all related equipment.
Theater Specialists are responsible for performing daily theater operations, which include seating and monitoring films during normal operating hours, as well as preparing and working special events on an as assigned schedule. Theater Specialists will work primarily in the Irene P. Flinn Giant Screen Theater, but are also cross-trained in delivering presentations in the Dorrance Planetarium.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Arizona Science Center maintains a strong policy of equal employment opportunity for all Employees and applicants. We recruit, hire, train, promote, compensate and dismiss Employees on the basis of such factors as experience, character, ability and skill, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin or heritage, age, marital or veteran status, disability, citizenship, or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, other duties may be assigned as needed:
- Provide exceptional customer service
- Performs daily equipment maintenance checks
- Troubleshoots maintenance issues and assists Manager of Theaters to correct any and all technical problems related to the Planetarium, Giant Screen Theater and related systems.
- Ensures that all equipment in booth and theaters are maintained in first class condition at all times.
- Focuses projectors, examines for damage, and adjusts projector mechanism.
- Continually reviews projector operations and works with Manager of Theaters to ensure quality is consistently kept high.
- Completes maintenance reports.
- Operates projectors and audio equipment to provide scheduled shows and special events.
- Works directly with outside vendors and clients to ensure quality production.
- Assists with the creation and production of digital assets
- Stay up to date with science news in your field
- Apply current events and disseminate information to guests
- Works with the Manager of Theaters and other team members on long range theater goals and plans.
- Works with the Manager of Theaters and other team members to develop and test new ideas for activities and engaging experiences within the Irene P. Flinn Theater
- Delivery of planetarium show content when needed, as assigned.
- Works a varied schedule that includes weekends and some evenings.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Minimum of two years related experience and/or training.
This is not a supervisory position.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from visitors. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from visitors. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to work with basic to moderate mathematical concepts, such as statistics, fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions, and graph development and analyzing.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
This job also requires the use of a computer which will be placed somewhere in the employee’s workspace. The employee must have the necessary keyboard and computer mouse skills as well as the ability to read a color monitor.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually high and can be affected by the running of the projectors.
- Demonstrated interest and passion for science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- A “people person” with an outgoing, positive, and friendly personality.
- Demonstrated excellence in customer service.
- Works independently and proactively without constant supervision.
- Skill in problem solving and decision making.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish is helpful, but not required.
Pay: $12 to $12.50/hour
Job Status: Part Time